Live the Gospel of
The United States celebrates Respect Life every October and the first Sunday of October is observed as Respect Life Sunday. As Catholics, we are called to cherish, defend, and protect those who are most vulnerable, from the beginning of life to its end, and at every point in between. This year, following the guidance of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, we would like to invite all in the faith community of St. John Neumann to reflect more deeply on the dignity of every human life. We specifically invite you to REFLECT on the Gospel of Life, join us in prayer as we PRAY for the dignity of every person, and LIVE the Gospel with us as we weekly address different aspects of life.
Respect Life Prayers
- For all Catholics: that during this Respect Life Month our hope in Christ’s resurrection will strengthen us in protecting the gift of human life; We pray to the Lord,
- For women and men suffering after abortion, may the Church’s abortion healing ministry help them find peace and healing through Christ’s endless mercy; We pray to the Lord,
- For those nearing the end of life, may they receive care that respects their dignity and protects their lives as they place their hope in the promise of eternal life; We pray to the Lord,
- For those deprived of their human needs, and their human rights; that they may be given the dignity which God confers all his people; We pray to the Lord,
- For all who are forgotten or thrown away, especially for the poor, the sick and the aged, that God might change our hearts and move us to love them as the image of Christ; We pray to the Lord,
- For all who are lonely or afraid, for the people on the streets, old people in nursing homes, prisoners with no one to visit them, and all whom the world has forgotten; that Christ might lead us to them, We pray to the Lord,
- For every person who suffers from violence, and especially for women whose pain breaks their hearts, that through the intercession of she whose heart was pierced with a sword, they might know peace and strength, We pray to the Lord,
- For families and individuals who have left or fled their homes, seeker safer and better lives. We lift up to you their hopes, fears and needs, that they may be protected on their journeys, their dignity and rights; We pray to the Lord,
- That on this Respect Life Sunday we may recommit ourselves to upholding the dignity of every human life; We pray to the Lord,
- That the life of every human person, from conception to natural death, might be protected in our laws and cherished in our hearts; We pray to the Lord,
May God grant us the wisdom and courage to lovingly protect His gift of human life at every stage, in sickness and in health; We pray to the Lord. Amen.
October 2020 Respect Life Calendar of Activities
- Sept 23 – Nov 1. 40 Days for Life Campaign. Join a worldwide campaign to end abortion through 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting, Peaceful Vigil, and Community Outreach. God used 40 days repeatedly to bring about transformations. Click here for more information (www.40daysforlife.com)
- October 1. Take a moment to REFLECT on the prophetic papal encyclical Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life), written by Pope St. John Paul II, to reaffirm the value and inviolability of life as we respect, protect, love, and serve every human being. PRAY for the dignity and sanctity of every human life. Click here to access the Brief Summary of the Gospel of Life.
- October 4. Respect Life Sunday. Support Life and join the National Life Chain from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. at Route 64 & Kirk Road. Read the article “Serving moms in need” and LIVE the Gospel by volunteering or donating at Corbella Clinic (corbellaclinic.org) or TLC (tlcpregnancyservices.com)
- October 4. Life Chain is a peaceful and prayerful public witness, standing for 60 minutes praying for our nation and an end to abortion. It is a visual statement of solidarity by the Christian community that the Church supports the sanctity of human life from the moment of conception until natural death.
- October 4. St. John Neumann’s study on our Catholic response to Racism click here for more information
- October 15. Live the Gospel by “Serving the Poor” pray for the poor and make a donation or volunteer at Hesed House, Lazarus House, or Salvation Army.
- October 16. St. John Neumann Day of Prayer to peacefully end abortion across the street from Planned Parenthood, 3055 E. New York Ave., Aurora Join us for a peaceful vigil or pray from home the Respect Life Rosary: Sorrowful Mysteries.
- October 22. Live the Gospel by “Serving Victims of Domestic Violence” October is also Domestic Violence Awareness Month, pray for these vulnerable people in our community.
- October 22. Corbella Clinic Celebrate Life Virtual Event. 7:30-8:15 p.m. Enjoy this beautiful and inspiring evening of reflection, education, and stories that celebrate life. Register for this free event at www.corbellaclinic.org/event
- October 29. Live the Gospel by “Serving the Immigrant community” please watch the video “Journey to a New Land” and volunteer virtually with World Relief Services to make a difference for these brothers and sisters in need, click here for more information. To register for virtual opportunities to volunteer, please go to www.worldreliefchicago.org
TLC Pregnancy Services – An organization that supports women in unplanned pregnancy situations with pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, maternity clothes and baby items. We offer life giving options to the women who come to us for assistance. We also help hundreds of women and families every month with clothing, diapers, formula and food. Please join us in our many volunteer opportunities including assisting in our clinics, driving our mobile unit, Men’s Mentoring program or helping with mailings and events. “Volunteers are among the most precious things the Church has, who express the most noble desires of the human heart, making a suffering person feel loved… -” Pope Francis
National Life Chain – Stand on our church corner for one hour in silent prayer. Pro-life signs are furnished.
Pray with Us – group prayer opportunities are available here and in Aurora. On the 3rd Friday of the month, we gather at the Planned Parenthood facility in Aurora for one hour of prayer. Commitment: according to your schedule
Join E-mail Tree – Be informed and act upon proposed abortion legislation.
Respect Life Committee – help accomplish parish education, concerns, and projects.
Respect Life Helpers – Help with project details such as flowers, delivering baby gifts, assisting with Life Chain, and leading prayers.