Tithing has been an integral part of our parish since its inception. In fact, we are one of a few parishes in our Diocese that tithe at the biblical percentage. Although the parish has experienced significant financial stress in recent years, reducing our tithe has never been an option. We have been and will continue to be a tithing parish. We have consistently returned to God 10% of all weekly offerings as an expression of our gratitude for all that we have received. We invite you to apply to become a St. John Neumann tithe recipient.
We have established an ad-hoc subcommittee of the Stewardship Commission that will review tithe requests, vet new charity applications and make recommendations to the Pastor for consideration. Also, this procedure will create more flexibility by allowing for a portion of tithes to remain undesignated so that additional needs and requests that are submitted throughout the year can be considered. The funds will be allocated according to the formula of 70% to local organizations, 5% to Diocesan entities, and 25% to more global causes.
During this pandemic, we have disabled the application for all tithes until further notice.
- Create greater awareness
- Establish a fair and equable protocol
- Create transparency in choosing
- Create more flexibility
- Involve stewardship committee in the recommendation process
Applications will be accepted November 1, 2019, through March 1, 2020, for consideration for the July 2020-June 2021 tithe recipient list. To be considered all applicants must be willing to:
- Provide a video presentation or other digital media that can be shown in our Media Center before and after weekend liturgies that will expose our parishioners to the mission of your organization.
- Provide representatives from your organization to be available before and after pre-scheduled liturgies to answer questions and express need.
All applicants will be contacted in June of 2019 regarding the status of your application.
We have been honored to be able to serve others in the past with a portion of our blessings and we hope to be able to serve many long into the future. Obviously, there are a lot of worthwhile organizations out there and we will continue to support as many as our gifts will permit. We pray for all who are working in the vineyard and for God’s guidance in distributing His gifts.