IGNITE – Introductory Video
Creating a Parish of Missionary Disciples
Ignite is a spiritual campaign that will focus our ministerial efforts as a parish over the next several years. In this campaign, we hope to win souls for Christ.
WHAT IS IGNITE THIS ALL ABOUT?
Our goal is that everyone in our community become a missionary disciple, and we have laid out a roadmap on how to get there.
We want each and every parishioner to Encounter Christ in a dynamic and life-changing way; to Grow in Christ as a way of growth into Christian maturity; and to Be Sent by Christ to discern their specific gifts and the way the Lord is asking for those gifts to be put at the service making disciples at St. John Neumann. By this process, each of our parishioners will become an active and intentional disciple of Jesus Christ.
A disciple is someone who has encountered Christ and established a personal relationship with Him, has committed to Christ by changing the way they live their life, and shares Christ in order to make new disciples.
HOW DO WE GET THERE?
First, we must Encounter Christ. Pope Benedict XVI told us, “Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but rather but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction.” Have you had this kind of encounter before? The kind of encounter the apostles had in the Gospels where they were compelled to leave their former way of life and follow Jesus with everything? We want you to know God’s love for you not just in an abstract way, but in a personal and life-changing way.
- To help you encounter Christ, we as a community want to help you learn how to pray with your heart, both the Sunday liturgy and in your personal, daily prayer time through a School of Prayer.
- To help you get to know who Jesus is, why He matters, and have a life-changing encounter with Him, we will begin in January running the Alpha program, a world-renowned process for teaching who Jesus is.
Next, we must Grow in Christ. We know that Jesus spent three years teaching His apostles about who He was and how He wanted them to live. Our entire lives are a process of growing more and more into the kind of saints that God wants us to be. This growth, however, cannot happen on our own! We are supposed to have the support of a community who will help us deepen our relationship with Jesus.
- We are launching Discipleship Groups aimed at building authentic, life-giving community at the parish.
- Also, we are going to continue our efforts at providing you the intellectual, moral, spiritual, and human formation that is essential for all of us growing into full Christian maturity.
Last we must Be Sent by Christ. If we have encountered the personal love of Jesus for us and been built up in our knowledge and love of Him, how can we help but not place our gifts and talents at the service of the community? God has given you a specific mission, a way of living out the call of the Church to form disciples, that only you can fulfill.
- To help you share the burning love that you have for Christ in your heart with others, we will be using the ReLit formation program followed by a time for you to discern what you are supposed to make your specific Apostolate at St. John Neumann.
Finally, know that underlying the Ignite campaign is a parish-based intercessory prayer group, praying for you and for the success of the campaign. Any successful evangelizing initiative will only go as far as the intercessory prayer supporting it takes it. Intercessory prayer is the flame lifting the hot air balloon off the ground.
WHAT IS MY NEXT STEP?
Consider your own faith journey. Do you need to meet Christ? Are you already in a relationship, but need to grow deeper in love? Or have you committed your life to Christ and need to share in his mission? No matter where you are on your faith journey, one of our three steps is for you.
We are here for you in this renewed commitment to becoming disciples of Jesus Christ. We want to walk with you. St. John Paul II said that “Life with Christ is a wonderful adventure.” Our simple hope in offering this new pathway to you is that your life is joyfully and radically transformed by a relationship with this same Jesus Christ, rooted here in the parish of St. John Neumann.